Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Toad Kills Dog

Cyber-paw pals, a nine-year old Gordon Setter named Rhett crossed the Rainbow Bridge. We never met Rhett but we still feel sad for his family. Rhett was poisoned by a Bufo Toad. You might remember our post back in February about those toads.

Our cyber-paw pals living or visiting south Florida, north east Australia, the Philippines, Central America, northern South America, will want to pay close attention.
Rhett's Mom wrote a good editorial that was in our Friday Paper. The editorial mentions preventive steps and what to do in case of toad poisoning.

1 – Toads are nocturnal, turn on the outdoor lights and don’t allow your dog outside alone at night.

2 – Toads are seen more often in wet weather. Accompany your dog outside when it is raining, even during daylight. Don’t leave water bowls outside.

3 – Inspect areas around plants and shrubs checking for toads before taking your dog outside during the early morning hours.

4 – If your dog has contact with a poisonous toad, place a hose along the inside of the mouth, point his mouth downward so your dog won’t swallow the water. Flush the mouth to remove all traces of the poison. While flushing, rub the gums and rub the inside of its mouth. Continue until the gums and inside of mouth no longer feel slimy, then call your vet.

5 – If you suspect toad poisoning, get prompt veterinary treatment.


Dog Speed,


Essex & Deacon

7 comments:

Jake of Florida said...

Hello Collies,

Thanks for the reminder. We're very careful about toads 'cause we know how dangerous they can be. But not every dog is aware.

How sad about Rhett!!!

Collies, please thank your dad for the info about pet friendly places in Key West. Our visit will be later this year -- perhaps after the hurricane season.

Did your Dad's colleague happen to say which one of the hotels had the bed bugs???????????

Jake and Just Harry

Orable & Charlie said...

Gee you two sure have this thing about toads - iech, it's downright scarrrry! We don't have toads here, well, not that I know of. Our stuff is much worse: Australia has the world's most poisonous snakes and spider, to say nothing of paralysis tick! (I almost dies from one of those!)

Good thing you have a human to look after you - stay away from the toads!

licks
Charlie

Mack said...

Oh that is so sad -
Thanks for reminding us of the dangers

Super Boy & Baby-Licious said...

This is so sad. We didnt know that Toad can be so dangerous.

Thank you for letting us know.

Love
Boy n Baby

Candi said...

Oh my goodness that is soo sad about Rhett. I didn't know how dangerous toads can be, thank goodness it doesn't happen over here.... i hope anyway.

thanks for the facts about toads.
too all my friends please take care with these toads... be safe.


lots of licks

xox

Pacco de Mongrel said...

there are awfully lotsa toads around my backyard...i'm not sure what species...but i think i ought to becareful

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Oh, how terrible! We're sorry Rhett's family lost him like this.