Monday, November 25, 2019

Sherman - 5 June 2011 - 4 November 2019


Sherman At Holmhaven
Sherman & Essex Playing
Sherman & Leo
In Our Back Yard With a Sandy Nose
Sherman & Karma At Angel Paws
Giving Dad a Loving Look
Sherman Experiences First Snow
Sherman & Gemini Playing At Home
Sherman & Gemini Sharing the Dog Bed
This took longer to write than I wanted.  Helping friends move and a lot of other things happening.  Sherman was one heck of dog. 
What was my Uncle Sherman’s story?  Sherman was born on Sunday, 5 June 2011.  He came to live with Dog Dad and Great Great Auntie Essex due to the tragic Rainbow Bridge crossing of Great Uncle Deacon on 27 May.  There was an immense hole in Dad’s heart. Sherman filled that hole and then some.  He was one of two sable boys in the litter.  His brudder Duke went to live in North Carolina and Sherman came to Key West on 6 August.  Dad, Essex and Sherman intended to visit our cyber pals Jake and Just Harry that day, but there was a terrible thunder storm in the area.  To avoid driving three hours in heavy rain, the pack drove back to Key West.   

I first met Uncle Sherman on 4 September 2015.  I was smitten with him and followed him around the yard at Holmhaven Collies.  My other three sisters were not as interested in Sherman.  We became a bonded pair when I came to live in Key West.  Anytime we went to the vet, I would whimper when Sherman left the room.  He was a gentle giant, that loved being around dogs and hoomans.  Sherman and I would play in the yard and living room.  Sherman would lay on his back and I would pounce on him.  He was a special dog and many hoomans knew him from our walks or time at Angel Paws.

Gemini

= = = = = =. 

Dog Dad here:  I will think of Sherman sleeping either by the bed or right outside the bedroom door.  Many of those times either his nose or paws would be under the rug.  In the house he would stay right at my feet when I sat on the couch, or by the sliding glass doors.  When fireworks went off, he was a Velcro Collie.  If a treat was involved Sherm was close by. At Angel Paws I will think of him doing fence patrol after Essex crossed the bridge.  Sherman the pup was bounced by Essex whenever he tried to help her with fence patrol.  During morning walks, he would bounce like a jack rabbit and bark at one part of the walk.  That was where a dog escaped his yard and ran up to us.  Essex was unfazed and Sherman hid behind her and Dad.  Sherman never forgot that, and when he got bigger he would started bouncing as approached that place.  He seemed to be saying  “I’m a big dog and not a little puppy anymore mister.”  He loved chewing on water jugs and was a very social puppy. 

At the park I will think of Sherman playing with his best pals Leo and Karma.  Sherman was an enthusiastic face licker.  I won’t miss having to watch Sherman when there tennis balls around.  Sherman was not gentle in taking a tennis ball away from a person.  He would growl at the other pups too.

Sherman was called Sherm, Shermee, Shermster, the Speaker of the Park, Big Guy and Silly Boy.  He crossed at middle age, and I had hoped he would be with the pack for several more years.  The spinal lymphoma and his front legs being paralyzed force a difficult decision.  As he was being helped across the Rainbow Bridge, I stroked him and talked to him.  His mind was there but the body was failing.  In many ways I wanted to keep him alive, but I could never put him through that.  I loved him to much and had to the right thing.  Sherman left a paw print in my heart and I miss my Silly Boy.
Miss you Sherm. 

Dog Dad

5 comments:

MoondanceHuskies said...

beautiful tribute to a very special dog. mom's eyes are leaking.

Hugs from all of us,
Skye, the Moondance Huskies and Dog Mom

Sheltie Times said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beloved family member. All dogs should be so loved.

Peace and God Bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Hugs from all of us. It's so difficult to lose such a loving family member, but that was a wonderful tribute to that special guy.

StevieGrrrWonder said...

Sherman was a special pup. It's hard to get over losing a pet when u love them so much. I think writing this blog served as therapy in the healing process. Thinking of happy memories that bring a smile to yur face are helpful also. Loved all the pictures...what rich memories u had with him! (StevieGrrrWonder)

Dawn said...

Loved the pictures of him growing up. I'm so glad he got to experience snow! He sure loved his life with you and Essex and them Gemini. I'm so sorry he had to move on early, sounds like he was a very special boy.